Washington Post: 2005 Annual Neologism Contest
Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to
its yearly contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate
meanings for common words.
The winners are:
- Coffee (n.), the person upon whom one coughs.
- Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.
- Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
- Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.
- Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.
- Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly
answer the door in your nightgown.
- Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.
- Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavored mouthwash.
- Flatulence (n.) emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run
over by a steamroller.
- Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.
- Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
- Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.
- Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.
- Oyster (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.
- Frisbeetarianism (n.), (back by popular demand): The belief that,
when you die, your Soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.
- Circumvent (n.), an opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by
Mind you, my personal 2005 favourite comes from "I Am Sorry I
Haven't a Clue":
- Mishmash (v.):, to skip a religious service for reason of inebriation.
The Washington Post's Style Invitational once again asked readers to
take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or
changing one letter, and supply a new definition. Here are this year's
- Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately,
shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
- Foreploy (v): Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of
- Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the
subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.
- Giraffiti (n): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
- Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the
person who doesn't get it.
- Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
- Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness.
- Osteopornosis (n): A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)
- Karmageddon (n): It's like, when everybody is sending off all these
really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's
like, a serious bummer.
- Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.
- Glibido (v): All talk and no action.
- Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter
when they come at you rapidly.
- Arachnoleptic fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after
you've accidentally walked through a spider web.
- Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into your
bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
- Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a grub in
the fruit you're eating.
And the pick of the literature:
- Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an a _ hole.